Trying to pick any modern appliance to purchase can be frustrating! There is often simply too much choice – especially if you like to do your homework before buying, as I do.
Anyway, electric toothbrushes are a prime example of too much choice! Which brand to go for? Which type of cleaning action (e.g. sonic cleaning or the rotating-head type)? Do I need the extra functions of some of the more expensive models?
Hopefully this article will help by laying out the top 5 best electric toothbrushes for any shopper…
5. Oral-B Professional Care 1000 – Best Cheap Electric Toothbrush
Let’s keep this first one simple – If you want to get great cleaning technology and little else (ie you don;t want to spend much on an electric toothbrush)- then this is a great bet.
You get the great cleaning action as from more expensive models in this range (although with a little less speed and power), for a fraction of the price.
You don’t get the extra cleaning modes (which may not be all that important anyway) nor do you get illuminated displays. But you do get a timer and a pressure sensor – which are important!
So if you’re on a budget, or just want to try out an electric toothbrush for the first time, join the hundreds of happy reviewers and get this toothbrush.
4. The Oral-B Deep Sweep – Best for Those Who Don’t Like Using Electric Toothbrushes!!!
What do I mean by that statement, you ask! Well, as you may have seen advertised, this new range of brushes from Oral-B are designed to be used like a manual brush. They are designed to be held and moved around the teeth in the same way.
What’s different, and much better, than your trusty old manual brush is that the Deep Sweep has three separate groups of bristles. Two of these groups move in differing directions, while one group is static. The result? This brush cleans in every possible direction as you move it along your teeth.
Futhermore, it also uses smart technology to determine where you are cleaning and it changes action appropriately. Your front (slim and smooth) teeth need a subtly different brushing action that your back teeth (big, with lots of pits and grooves) do. The Deep Sweep uses motion and other sensors to determine where you are cleaning in the mouth and what angle the brush head is at, and adapts the bristle motion accordingly.
There are two models in this range. the 5000 (pictured) and the cheaper, more basic 1000 model.
The 5000 has the same brilliant extras that the Oral-B professional care model (below) has. This includes the revolutionary wireless guide that helps you brush your teeth better by giving you feedback as you do so. It has a smart timer and pressure sensor and 5 modes of cleaning.
The Deep Sweep 1000 is a lot cheaper. It does use the same cleaning action, so has the same ‘engine’. But is lacks the important pressure sensor to help ensure you don’t overbrush. It’s still a good choice for those who want this new model but are on a budget.
3. The Sonicare DiamondClean – The Best For Those With Extra Cash To Spend
Coming in at just under $200, this is not the ideal amount of money to spend on a toothbrush for most!
But for those that don’t mind spending big on the most up-to-date tech – this is pretty cool. First up – it looks pretty fabulous for a toothbrush – sleek, stylish and elegant. This is the premium model in the Sonicare range (you can compare all these models on this Amazon page) and features:
- The proven cleaning technology from Sonicare – Powerful sonic waves are emitted from the toothbrush head, to get in and around every tooth surface, helping clear away plaque (that nasty stuff that causes gum disease and tooth decay). These waves also help to clean in hard to reach places like between the teeth and under the gums – But you still need to floss (boo!).
- There are all the extra gadgets you’d expect at this price range – Most importantly a ‘Smartimer’ and ‘Quadpacer’ to help remind you to clean every corner of your mouth and spend enough time doing so.
- There are five brushing modes – each aimed at giving a slightly different clean, depending on your oral hygiene needs.
- Oh and that little glass in the picture? – That is to charge the brush! Yes, this product uses conduction technology to recharge the battery without having to plug it in! It also has a USB charger for those on the go.
So if you want the classiest, most up-to-date technology – The Sonicare DiamondClean is a great choice!
2. Philips Sonicare FlexCare Plus – A Very Close Runner Up!
Much like Coke vs Pepsi, there has long been a battle for supremacy between Philips’ Sonicare range and Oral-B’s Professional care range.
Many’s an argument over a few beers has been had between loyal fans of each toothbrush over which is best..
OK so perhaps a slight exaggeration, but you get the picture. What’s the difference though? Well, Sonicare uses sonic technology to power the toothbrush’s cleaning action while Oral-B uses the physical rotation along with pulsation
At the end of the day – there are those that much prefer the Sonicare brush action and others who swear by Oral-B. Most importantly, both types are brilliant at cleaning your teeth, with years of research and development having gone in to bringing you these excellent products.
The Sonicare Flexcare Plus has it all –
- A Quadpacer and Smartimer
- 5 modes of cleaning (a common theme amongst all the top models)
- A travel charger
- An illuminated display
- A UV sanitizer – no more nasty bugs thriving between the bristles!
There is very little to choose between the Flexcare Plus and our number 1 choice. A key difference is the price, with the Oral-B 5000 being around $40 cheaper currently.
But if you want a great sonic toothbrush – go for this Flexcare Plus.
1. The Oral-B 5000 Professional Clean – Best All Rounder
Our number 1 choice, coming just ahead of the Flexcare Plus – is this Oral-B professional care 5000 (previously known as the “Triumph”). And it is a triumph in terms of oral hygiene ability and modern technology.
Sitting atop the popular Professional Care range, the 5000 features the range-wide ‘oscillation-rotation’ technology – which basically means that it twists, turns and pulsates as it cleans the teeth – Giving a “3D” clean.
Apart from the brilliant (and most important) cleaning action – you get heaps of extras with this dentist-recommended model:
- A pressure sensor that automatically reduces power if you are brushing too hard – Helping reduce any possible damage you may cause to tooth enamel and gums.
- 5 cleaning modes – each differing slightly to clean differently as, after all, we don’t all have the same oral hygiene needs.
- A unique wireless guide. This gives you feedback as you are cleaning your teeth, with a timer to make sure you brush thoroughly and a star rating system to let you know how good a job you have done!
There are several other models in the range, from the budget 1000 to the mid-range 3000 and 4000. As you go up, price-wise, you get more gadgets and extras – But all have the same cleaning action.
If you want the best a toothbrush has to offer, without spending a fortune – then the Oral-B professional care 5000 is simply brilliant.